Odds are, you haven’t head of a poke bowl until very recently. Rhyming with okay, poke bowls are one of the latest food crazes — and for good reason. This Hawaiian import is popping up in five star restaurants all across the continental US, as well as on food shows and even in homes. We predict this versatile food will soon be as mainstream as tacos and pizza.
The International Poke Company, the best poke bowl restaurant in Colorado Springs, offers a wide variety of poke bowls and salads, all available to suit your taste. We also offer scrumptious vegan and vegetarian alternatives. Below, we’ll go over some of the reasons poke bowls are trending. Visit us today to experience for yourself why!
WHY POKE BOWLS ARE TRENDING
- Healthy. Obesity is no doubt a problem in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 39.8% of Americans, or about 93.3 million US adults were considered obese in 2016. With this number rising in more younger Americans (35.7% in this same survey), the problem is alarming. Poke bowls are one of the healthiest foods around. Traditional poke bowls contain fish (usually tuna), seaweed, and candlenuts. That’s it. Seems simple, right? If you take a closer look, you’ll notice that this is all of the main food ingredients for a balanced meal. You have your protein (tuna), your carbohydrates (seaweed), and your fats (candlenuts). When you eat a balanced meal, you keep your blood sugars in check, which yields to no fat gain. Throw in the fact that fish contains a healthy dose of omega-3 fats that has been shown to help prevent heart disease, stroke, and may form a protective role against cancer as well.
- All-natural. Let’s face it, it doesn’t get any more natural than raw fish, seaweed, and some nuts. With the pushback on processed food and additives, poke bowls are appealing due to the fact you can make a poke bowl 100 percent all-natural. This is important for those looking to reduce their impact on the environment and reduce foreign ingredients they consume. Poke bowls are about as all-natural of a created dish you can get.
- Affordable. When you consider that you only really need three ingredients to make a great-tasting poke bowl, poke bowls are extremely affordable for consumers,from broke college kids to diners on a budget. That being said, you can definitely upscale poke bowls as much as you like, with fresh-caught fish flown in from the Pacific and the creative genius of top-notch chefs in five star restaurants around the world. If you’re a poke bowl restaurant, the startup costs are much lower as well when you don’t really need a fancy grill, huge ovens, and a lot of space for a big kitchen. All you really need are refrigerators, rice cookers, and a place to slice and dice. In fact, some great poke bowl restaurants were started out of homes. Furthermore, one more perk of starting a poke bowl restaurant is poke bowls are great for assembly lines, which cut the wait time for hungry consumers.
- Tastes good. Now just because poke bowls are all-natural doesn’t mean they taste horrible. In fact, you can season to your heart’s content with poke bowls. From spices, heat, salt, and herbs, you can still keep your poke bowl healthy, all-natural, and tasting great.
- Variety. It’s hard to put into words the endless variety poke bowls offer. If you have a picky eater in your family (whether an adult or a child), a poke bowl restaurant such as The International Poke Company in Colorado Springs is the place to bring the family because there is something for everyone. You can choose from an endless ocean of fish (literally) from tuna, swordfish, salmon, and mackerel to anchovies, catfish, and tilapia. The base selections are whatever you’re craving, from rice, quinoa, leafy greens, mashed potatoes, or a bed of vegetables sauteed to perfection. The toppings are limitless as well, from scallions, avocados, a wide selection of nuts, and carrots to sesame seeds, chopped mango, sliced pears, and pickled ginger. You can accessorize your poke bowl to add in much-needed fruits and vegetables to your diet that will taste good and be filling.
- Casual. Poke bowls have traditionally been served in farmer’s markets, on the streets, and by mobile shops in Hawaii for years. Since they require such little space to make, poke bowls are perfect for your on-the-go lifestyle. You can grab a poke bowl and head on to your next tourist destination, or you can make poke bowls a formal affair when you do visit a fancy restaurant. Poke bowls fit in anywhere in your lifestyle. In fact, poke bowls are incredibly simple to make at home and take less than 10 minutes, which is important when your kids are starving after a long day at school and at sports.
- Light. Everyone loves Thanksgiving dinners. However, besides stuffing yourself usually, the food you consume is heavy. Fish is naturally light, along with vegetables and leafy greens, which makes custom poke bowls perfect for a late lunch or late dinner so you don’t go to bed feeling bloated and full. Poke bowls are also easy to digest so you won’t get indigestion or heartburn when you eat poke bowls.
- Convenient. In today’s world, consumers want their food now (and most of the time, they wanted it 10 minutes before they even ordered). The proliferation of fast food restaurants will probably not be slowing down any time soon. Poke bowls fit in nicely for fast food that’s convenient. After all, you don’t have to wait for the fish to cook like you do at most other restaurants, which cuts your wait time.
While the above reasons all contribute to the rising trend in poke bowls, ultimately poke bowls are satisfying. Period.
The International Poke Company is the best poke bowl restaurant in Colorado Springs. We’re proud to offer high-quality ingredients that are environmentally-friendly, both for your body and the fish we use. We only get our fish from fishermen who use the proper fishing equipment so as not to kill fish needlessly. Furthermore, we offer custom poke bowls for those on a restrictive or special diet, such as vegans and vegetarians. We offer jackfruit or organic firm tofu to switch for your fish selection. Our foundations of white or organic brown rice, glass noodles, organic mixed greens, or forbidden black rice are perfect for all dishes, including our specialty diet customers. We also offer on-tap kombucha to keep you healthy and smiling. The International Poke Company in Colorado Springs is passionate about bringing you healthy food that tastes great. Visit our store today!